Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Reflect: 30 Days to Higher Performance Through Nature

It's Day 7 of David Suzuki's 30x30 Nature Challenge!  Someone asked me if this challenge has had an impact on me.  The answer: Yes.  I'm feeling more balanced, more creative, more driven, and the brain breaks have helped me be more productive.

I've had to squeeze my connection to nature in for the past two days.  Looking at my schedule over the next few days, though, my solo challenge may have to change to family time.

On Monday I went to a bench near a pond surrounded by trees.  Birds were squawking, ducks were landing in the water, and my head was swarmed by mosquitoes!  Yes... it's finally Spring here!  It's blissful.  Most of my time on Monday was spent in self-reflection.

I've been working on my goals and vision and had to ask friends and colleagues questions about me.  Honest answers really made me think.  Thirty minutes of self-reflection after hearing how you inspire and also challenge people is a good exercise - for everyone, especially leaders and managers.  I feel better equipped to become a better leader myself and also to help you become a better leader in your work and life.


Being incredibly busy on Tuesday, I had to find something to motivate me to get outside throughout the work day.  The sun did it.  I literally squeezed a 25 minute connection to nature in between two appointments.  I sat near a babbling brook and felt the heat of the sun on my face.  Along the trail, I had a serendipitous meeting with a fellow coach from DMW Coaching and had a great chat which left me feeling settled.  Good things happen when you create openings for opportunities.

My challenge for you today is to go out in nature and reflect on your strengths and areas you need to work on in order to reach your vision.  If you don't have a vision.... start working on it.  You can't reach it without knowing what it is.  And like Suzanne Conrad from igolu says, if you don't know your own vision, you are living someone else's.

Thank-you for being my accountability partner(s) in this challenge.  If you need one, drop me a line or post on my Facebook page about how you are doing with your challenge and if it's making a difference in your performance.

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment